St John's Church
The paintings on the west wall of the chancel are probably the most graphic. There are scenes from the crucifixion of Christ, a graphic picture of St Agatha’s martyrdom, some horrid devils and a bizarre segmental creature being prodded with sticks or forks. Fragments of paintings cover most of the other walls. The church is originally Norman, and has a magnificent doorway of that period, with a carved zigzag pattern round its arch. The lead ‘spike’ that rises from the tower is very typical of churches in this part of the country. Its top was twisted in 1897 when a flagpole tied to it, to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, was blown about in a gale. Inside, massive Norman arches support the central tower. Both inside and out, it is worth looking at the exquisite carvings. Those in the north aisle include human faces, angels and strange creatures. A rare link with the past is provided by the graffiti scratched into the stonework over the centuries, many of which are very old, as you can see from the dates, and the fact that some are in Latin. There are also strange marks cut into the stone in various places around the church, where people used to sharpen their arrows in the Middle Ages. Set in a pretty village next to the green and surrounded by attractive old houses, St John’s is a picture-book church with a delightful atmosphere.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Open all year|
ContactMr Colin Shearer
020 7213 0660
email a friend
VenueSt John's Church
Green Street, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, CB2 4RG
Map reference: TL 479461 Lat: 52.09400 Long: 0.15760
6m S of Cambridge, 1m SE of M11 at Junction 10. Church in centre of small village on St John's Street.