The Princess Theatre has certainly had a colourful history since it opened as The Capitol Cinema in 1932.
Built by Ben Culey of King's Lynn, the Theatre is particularly noted for its construction in Norfolk Carrstone and it contains the largest gable wall of carrstone in existence today. It was cleverly designed as a live Theatre as well as a cinema, and live shows such as Fred Roper and his 20 Wonder Midgets, Private Lives and Rookery Nook were some of the opening shows to be staged in 1932.
In honour of Lady Diana Spencer who, on her marriage to the Prince of Wales in July 1981, became the Princess of Wales, the Theatre was renamed The Princess Theatre. In December 1988 the Princess Theatre was honoured by an informal visit from the Royal Family to the pantomime Cinderella. The late Princess of Wales and her two children Princes William and Harry, the Princess Royal and her two children Peter and Zara Phillips together with Lady Jane Fellowes all attended on Thursday 30th December at the 2.30pm performance. The Royal Princes have privately attended many pantomimes since that date.
In May 2012 Hunstone Productions, formed by four local businesses (Hallard Entertainments, Searles Leisure Resort, International Music & Leisure, and James Johnson and Co Accountancy Ltd.) took over the running of the building.
The Princess Theatre Box Office is now open every day of the year (except Christmas Day) and the programme provides a wide range of entertainment from Variety to Drama, Dance, Music, and soon to follow, Films.
email a friend
The Green, Hunstanton, Norfolk, PE36 5AH
Map reference: TF 672408 Lat: 52.93854 Long: 0.48659
Events at this venue
|Sat 25 May 2013||Music of the Hollies - The Hollywood Bees|