Debach Airfield Museum
Debach Airfield was home to 493rd Heavy Bomber Group, USAAF, from 1944 to 1945. In total 157 missions were flown from Debach. After the US forces left the airfield was used first as a P.O.W. camp and then for displaced persons before being abandoned in about 1948. It then passed back to agricultural use and to commercial use.
Much of the concrete runways and taxi-ways were taken up, and crushed to use for road building, and the land reclaimed to be used for agricultural crops. Many of the buildings on the former Technical site fell down and some have now been restored. Others were built on the old sites and on the site of the T2 Hangar which is now a farm grain store. The control tower has been vandalized over the past years and it is our intention to restore this building to be used as a museum to the 493rd Bomb Group.
From April to September - Free.
Pre booked group - £25 per group.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||The Control Tower Museum will be open on the last Sundays in the months of
April, May, June, July, August and September 2009 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Open Day - June 6th 2010. By appointment other times.
ContactRichard & Prilly Taylor
email a friend
VenueDebach Airfield Museum
Grove Farm, Clopton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP13 6QS
Map reference: TM 230544 Lat: 52.14284 Long: 1.25765
Marked at entrance - turning off B1078 at Clopton / Debach.
Parking : free
Nearest station : 9 miles (14.5 kms) from Ipswich station