For over two centuries Melford Hall has been the much loved family home of the Hyde Parkers. This unassuming mellow brick mansion is full of surprises with modern family photographs side-by-side with Tudor portraits. We have lots of stories to share about family life and about visits from the Hyde Parker's cousin Beatrix Potter - you can even see the original Jemima Puddle-duck toy that she gave to them. The Hyde Parkers are a naval family and there are lots of items around the house linked with their naval adventures and interests - have you made the ships bell sound? There are also fine collections of porcelain and furniture, including a very special year-going clock.
This remarkable home has seen its fair share of drama over the years - from the visit by Queen Elizabeth I in 1578, to Civil War unrest and then tragedy during World War Two when the North Wing was burnt down. However, Melford has always been loved, and has been nurtured back to life as the home it is today.
The garden at Melford is the perfect place to relax on a summer's afternoon - there are lots of hidden corners where you can sit and watch the world go by. The seventeenth century banqueting house is an unexpected gem, and for those that enjoy walking there is the mile long Park Walk that has lovely views back towards the house.
We welcome you to Melford, just as we have warmly welcomed our many visitors over the centuries.
Admission House and Garden: adult £7, child £3.50, family £17.50. Garden only: adult £3.50, child £1.75, family £8.75.
Groups (15+ booking essential): adult £6, child £3.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Last admission 4.30pm.|
ContactThe House Manager
email a friend
Long Melford, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 9AA
Map reference: TL 866461 Lat: 52.08184 Long: 0.72247
In Long Melford, off A134, 14 miles south of Bury St Edmunds, and 3 miles north of Sudbury. Hall is situated on the Green at the Church (Bury St Edmunds) end of the village.
Disabled drop off point at the front of the house. Parking 200 yards.
By Public Transport:
Nearest Train Station: Sudbury. Bus: Mon-Sat from Sudbury; Chambers 753, Mon-Sat Bury St Edmunds-Colchester; Network Colchester 90C, Sun Haverhill.
Parking : free
Accessible by Public Transport : 3 miles (4.8 kms) from Sudbury station
We have recently improved both our gatehouse gift and second hand book shop, plants sales area and visitor reception. We have also improved the facilities offered in our small Tea Room. Please note that the Tea Room is situated inside the North Wing of the house and only seats c. 28 people at any one time.
Events at this venue
|Wed 19 - Sun 23 Jun 2013||Threads, canvas and paint|
|Fri 26 Jul 2013||Beatrix Potter Day|
|Fri 9 - Mon 19 Aug 2013||The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny|
|Fri 16 Aug 2013||Teddy Bear's Picnic|
|Sat 14 Sep 2013||Heritage Open Day|
|Sat 14 Sep 2013||Railway Walk|
|Sat 21, Sun 22 Sep 2013||Autumn Fair|
|Sat 12 Oct 2013||Railway Walk|
Self-assessed accessibility details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is gravel
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has a ramp
- Steps to the main entrance
- 2Number of steps to entrance
- Ramp to entrance
- Entrance is well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- To the gift shop
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Baby changing facilities
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Visitor information available in audio format
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to cafeteria
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Restaurant / cafe provide meals for visitors with special dietary requirements:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Seating suitable for wheelchair users, ie moveable and good height for person sitting in a wheelchair
- High chairs for children
- Children's menu
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Clear signage
- Wheelchairs provided
- Audible alarm system
- Visual alarm system
All rooms have room stewards who are there to help assist vistors around the property.