image for Village item typeWillington at Willington Village

Village

Details

The church is unusual in being entirely 16th century in origin, probably built by Sir John Gostwick, an official of Cardinal Wolsey, who subsequently held high office under Henry VIII.

Gostwick acquired the Manor of Willington in 1529. The manor house where Henry VIII stayed, has largely disappeared. However, the massive Tudor stone dovecote, with nesting boxes for 1,500 birds, and stables still survive and are now in the care of the National Trust.

Directions

See location of Willington Village on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TL 004417  Lat: 52.06458 Long: -0.53682

By Road:
A village about 5 miles east of Bedford, on the A603, Sandy Road.