All Saint’s, Filby, is a Medieval church building with 15th century painted rood screen dado. Filby is one of the earliest settlements in the Fleggs and the present church, begun about 1350, stands on the site of the original building.
Filby is one of the earliest settlements in the Fleggs and the present church, begun about 1350, stands on the site of the original building.
The tower is a fine example of the perpendicular period. The unusual figures on the top corners represent the Latin Doctors of the church.
The octagonal font in purbeck marble, despite it’s appearance, is the oldest object in the church and probably came from the original building.
The painted rood screen, c. 1450 is one of a very few surviving pre-reformation times and is painted with eight figures featuring St. Celia with her floral wreath, St. George killing a dragon, St. Catherine with her sword and wheel, St. Peter with his keys, St. Paul with his sword and book , St. Margaret killing a dragon, St. Michael weighing souls and St. Barbara holding a tower.