The remains of this large Norman castle, built by the Bigods in 1165 and further developed in 1294, contains many interesting features.
The massive gatehouse towers remain as do the bridge pit and curtain walls. A mine tunnel, driven into the keep walls, is exposed as is the adjacent forebuilding with its latrine chamber (garderobe). The inner bailey, a pleasant grassed area, commands fine views across the Waveney Valley. Entry via visitor centre in the centre of a fine market town.