Local nature reserve with grass paths, small pond and wild flower meadows.
Church Meadow is a 3.8 hectare Local Nature Reserve on the southern outskirts of Stowmarket in Suffolk. It is owned and managed by Mid Suffolk District Council. This was formerly the garden of Combs Hall, which was demolished in 1756, that stood next to St Mary’s Church, Church Meadow now supports a variety of wildlife.
The hedgerows are full of small birds in spring with Whitethroat and Yellowhammer commonly heard. The meadows support many wild flowers and recently southern marsh orchids have made a welcome reappearance. The upper meadow is bright with buttercups in early summer. In the lower meadow the small pond supports many dragonflies whilst grass snakes can sometimes be seen around its edges.
Some of the features of the former gardens still survive – a symmetrical field, a round pond, levelled embankments and the edges of the formal lake though nature has quickly reclaimed the once manicured grounds.
Visitors are welcome to enter the fenced meadows but must keep dogs on a lead as there are often grazing animals present. Grassy paths can be muddy in winter. Parking is on the verge alongside the reserve.