Hickling towermill was built in 1818 and had an 8 storey tarred tower that was substantially constructed with brickwork of 30 inches thickness at the base. The tower was 60 feet to the curb and 71 feet to the cap ridge. The mill stood back from the road, alone in a field. Unusually, for aesthetic reasons, the windows were all built one above the other and in order not to detract from the overall strength of the tower, 13 of the 28 windows between the 1st and 7th floors were false. A bake office was being operated on the premises by the 1860s.
The mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with an 8 bladed fan and a gallery. The four double shuttered sails each had 9 bays were controlled by a 9 ft. diameter brake wheel and drove 3 pairs of French burr stones, 2 flour mills, a cylinder and a jumper. The wallower was made of wood with cast iron teeth set in segments and 3 dressing machines and an oat crusher were driven from a set of very flat bevel cogs mortised into the original wooden rim. A stage had been set around the 4th floor by around 1900.
- Picnic Site
- Public Toilets
- Facilities For Educational Visits
- Disabled Toilets