The Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle was established in Holt before 1086, the year of the Domesday Book. The church is situated in the heart of the town at the end of Church Street, which is found behind the War Memorial, at the east end of what was the original Market Place.
t is almost certain that a church was built on this site in the 11th century making this a
Church Clockplace of prayer over a period of a thousand years.
Nothing of the original building survives with much of the present building dating back to the 14th century. During this time churches in the neighbouring coastal ports were being built on a grand scale. Holt did not share this same prosperity and the church was built to a relatively modest design, although there was originally a spire.