Known by some on account of its size as the ‘Cathedral of the Fleggs’, St Mary’s at Martham dominates the local landscape with a 98 foot tower. The present church was started in 1377, with 15th century glass in the west windows.
Welcome to the church of St Mary the Virgin, Martham. This is the largest church in the area and is referred to as “The Cathedral of the Fleggs”. Martham itself is located at the northern end of the former island of Flegg bordering the River Thurne and the church is situated at a high point in the village.
The present church was started in 1377 and has a fine seven sacrament font. There is some 15th century glass in the east windows of the north and south aisles. Among the poppy head pews may be seen the Medieval green man.
The Victorians doubled the number of angels in the hammer beam roof, ten carry musical intruments and twelve have instruments of the passion.