Official Visitor Website
Back to Attractions Attractions

St Mary’s Church- Stalham

This church dates to the 14th and 15th centuries. The top of the tower has fallen down and the chancel has been rebuilt. However, the majority of the church survives in excellent condition. Inside, there is a fine 15th century font and a monument of 1718 dedicated to Catherine Catfield. Intriguingly, a fire engine house and lockup stand in the yard of the church.

Description
Description

The town of Stalham is entered in the Doomsday Book of 1084-86. The family of De Stalham held the Lordship of the Manor after the Norman Conquest. Around 1380 the Maid’s Head was built to house the workmen who were to build the present Church. The Church was built around 1400, probably on the site of an earlier building.

Inside, there is a fine 15th century font and a monument of 1718 dedicated to Catherine Catfield. Intriguingly, a fire engine house and lockup stand in the yard of the church.

St Mary’s Church- Stalham
The Rectory
Camping Field Lane
Stalham
Norfolk
NR12 9DT