Official Visitor Website
Back to Attractions Attractions

St Nicholas’ Church Wells-next-the-Sea

The original church was probably built in the thirteenth century next to the ancient harbour.


Like most English churches, it was progessively altered and enlarged in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. Its style was, at the Reformation when most church building stopped, Perpendicular. The exterior remained much the same until in 1879 the church was struck by lightning and burnt down. Rebuilding which began very quickly was completed in 1883 – this time incorporating a lightning conductor on the tower – in a similar style to the original, though lacking stained glass.

The churchyard contains the grave of John Fryer, sailing master of the famed warship the Bounty whose captain was James Bligh. Fryer was born in Wells-next-the-Sea in 1753, and is buried in the churchyard of St Nicholas,

The Church is usually open during the day for prayer as well as for historical interest.

Do come along, we would love to meet you.

  • Accessible toilets
  • Hearing loop
  • Baby changing
St Nicholas’ Church Wells-next-the-Sea
Church Street
NR23 1JA