The ‘Henry Ramey Upcher’ (HRU) lifeboat is a sailing and pulling boat built in 1894 by local boat builder ‘Buffalo’ Emery.
Designed on the same pattern as the local fishing boats, she was commissioned by Caroline Upcher and named inmemory of her husband. This was to replace the ‘Augusta’ lifeboat, also donated by the Upcher family, which had become un-seaworthy. The HRU was in service until 1935 when she was replaced by an RNLI motorised boat. The boat isdisplayed in original condition in her original boat shed.