Known as the Jewel of the Fens, Wisbech and Fenland Museum offers an inspiring visit – its interior Victorian Museum and library has survived intact since originally opening in 1847 as a purpose-built site for Wisbech Literary Society and Museum Society collections of ethnography, natural history, geology, archaeology, decorative arts and paintings.
The Wisbech & Fenland Museum opened in 1847 and continues to collect, care for, and interpret the natural and cultural heritage of Wisbech and the surrounding Fens.
The Museum collections originally were made up of natural sciences and local flora and fauna. Today, in addition to incomparable literary documents of international significance, the museum holds a substantial archive, including parish registers, local government records, manorial records, directories, photographs and maps.
The Library of the Wisbech & Fenland Museum is a reference library, comprising 12,000 volumes in two distinct collections.
Admission to the Wisbech & Fenland Museum is free.
Some exhibitions and events may carry a separate charge.