Great Cressingham is a village which lies about 5 miles of Watton, 6 miles south of Swaffham and only 1.5 miles off the A1065 arterial road just north of Hilborough. It is 2.5 miles north west by road from Little Cressingham.
The villages name origin is uncertain but probably means ‘Homestead/village of Cressa’s people’, or perhaps, ‘cress homestead/village’.
The village church is dedicated to Saint Michael in the Benefice of Cockley Cley.
There is a pub called the Olde Windmill Inn.
The village school was built in 1840. It was used as a local Authority school until 1992 and was then acquired by Tom and Sally North. They have restored it as closely as possible to how it would have been in Victorian times and now run free historical school days.
Great Cressingham is on the very edge of the Stanford Training Area.