Houghton Saint Giles is a village within the civil parish of Barsham in the English county of Norfolk. It has also been referred to as Houghton-le-Dale or Houghton-in-the-Hole.
The villages name means ‘hill-spur farm/settlement’.
The village is one of four settlements that are within the parish of Barsham; the other villages are West Barsham, East Barsham and North Barsham. Originally all four villages had their own parishes, but these were merged to create a single civil parish in 1935. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Houghton Saint Giles is 4.2 miles north of the town of Fakenham, 21.2 miles west of Cromer and 118 miles north of London. The nearest railway station is at Sheringham for the Bittern Line. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport. A regular bus service is provided as Houghton is on the Coastliner bus route (service number 36) with destinations including Fakenham, Wells-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton and King’s Lynn.
In the parish is the Slipper Chapel. Built in 1340, it was the last chapel on the pilgrim route to Walsingham.